Chat 2016

Reading All Genres, General Fiction & Nonfiction as voted by members. Join the Fun

all book discussion is welcome
wernoclue

07 Jan 2016, 04:39 #1

Goodness gracious!  Six days into the new year and we haven't opened any new threads!  Remember when we used to do that once a month?  How did life get so crazed?
We began the year (and ended the last thread) with Barb having telecomm problems:
I've been gone pretty near a week, just catching up. Our internet and landline went down on New Years Eve and it's taken all this time to get internet service back! Still no phone! It seemed kind of weird given that we were talking about how staying connected online has got to be such a necessity for us that I should have to do without it for a week. I hated being unable to touch base with people, especially family overseas, but the thing that really got me so angry and frustrated was having to deal with the service providers! What a process!!
Karen
“The odd thing about people who had many books was how they always wanted more” – Patricia A. McKillip

wernoclue

07 Jan 2016, 04:43 #2

We've decided, I think, to cut the cable with Comcast/Xfinity and do our TV watching via streaming, Amazon Prime, Netflix and digital antenna. They keep making promises and not keeping them and our bill keeps creeping up. I know we don't pay as much as a lot of people who have a lot of premium services but, frankly, I just think $200 per month is about $150 too much for television that we don't even watch very much. That means we give up watching baseball, too, but we could hardly bring ourselves to watch for most of the season last year anyway so, no great loss.

We'll keep the internet service though. It's still the only game in town around here for internet.
Karen
“The odd thing about people who had many books was how they always wanted more” – Patricia A. McKillip

jodijoy

07 Jan 2016, 15:47 #3

I'd give it up too, but would miss the baseball. Our team is (usually) better than yours though.
When life gives you lemons, throw them back and demand chocolate.

wernoclue

07 Jan 2016, 16:42 #4

Honey, the last two or three years -- at least! -- ANY team has been better than ours! 😭😭😭
Karen

Blanchard

07 Jan 2016, 20:32 #5

Sports is what keeps us (me!) tied to the cable system. I love tennis and we both enjoy the local University basketball (sometimes football) team. Otherwise, it's just streaming and PBS for us! If we could only figure out how to squash sports into our preference list, it would be perfect to cut the cable.
Betsy

wernoclue

08 Jan 2016, 17:22 #6

Oh and did I mention our plumbing problem? A puddle -- harmless but irritating -- around the basement floor drain every time the washer empties. Cost to repair: $4,750 plus $200 per foot and it means jackhammering out a trough of the concrete basement floor. We've already had our hopes of some insurance assistance on this dashed. Image
Karen

jodijoy

08 Jan 2016, 17:39 #7

Gah, Karen, it's always water!
When life gives you lemons, throw them back and demand chocolate.

riverblue

08 Jan 2016, 21:07 #8

Oh Karen, that sucks!
Barb

xmaystarx

08 Jan 2016, 21:24 #9

Karen, we cut cable just before Jacob was born and don't miss it. We use the digital antenna, netflix, and amazon. My husband did have to get used to not seeing all the football games he was used to since we don't get Fox with the antenna but he is fine. I realize we mostly had it on as background noise and now I find myself watching more sitcoms than I did before.

That is just awful about the basement. Is it possible to just deal with the puddle instead of spending that much or is it causing more damage?
Courtney

Blanchard

09 Jan 2016, 00:27 #10

That's incredible, Karen! Holy cow! Have you had that traditional "second opinion?" Of course you have! That is something you may want to deal with, as Courtney suggests.
Betsy