Chat 2017

Reading All Genres, General Fiction & Nonfiction as voted by members. Join the Fun

all book discussion is welcome
wernoclue

01 Jan 2017, 17:31 #1

Happy New Year, everyone, and welcome to 2017!
How is everyone planning to start the new year?
Karen
“The odd thing about people who had many books was how they always wanted more” – Patricia A. McKillip

bayjoens

01 Jan 2017, 17:52 #2

Happy New Year!

We have one last holiday party today.

Tonight my son is having friends over for a board-game night. They will be drinking but only one can be said to drink much. The rest usually have a couple of beers and are done. Several will probably be spending the night, so my husband and I are probably going to spend the evening out and at a hotel tonight and leave the house and dog to the kids. Our daughter is also home with her boyfriend so they'll most likely hide out in her room downstairs and take care of the dog so her brother can entertain his friends.

I have two goals for the new year:
- I've promised my daughter that I will get a blood test in the spring and I need to get my diet under control and lose about 10 pounds so that my cholesterol and blood sugar numbers are reasonable.
- We dine out a lot and love theatre and a friend suggested a blog. I don't have much confidence in my writing abilities but maybe this would be a good way to work on it. The only thing I've done so far is signed up for a hosting platform. Now I need to start a WordPress page and research by reading some other pages. I think I'll start with Sherry's. Anyone else here have a page or a favorite I should look at? I'm not hoping to make money or have hundreds of readers, but would like to provide a service or references for friends looking for something to do in the Bay Area.

sthurner.bookchatcentral

02 Jan 2017, 00:18 #3

Good luck with your blogging, Sandra. I enjoy it, though I do not post so often as I used to. Blogger has worked fine for me.
Currently reading: Before the Fall

jodijoy

02 Jan 2017, 15:37 #4

Last of the Chanukah letters: A for ammonia and H is half-and-half.
When life gives you lemons, throw them back and demand chocolate.

bayjoens

02 Jan 2017, 19:22 #5

Jodi, ammonia?

kathylaz

02 Jan 2017, 21:29 #6

Ammonia? Someone hinting something?
Kathy
Reading The Sindia Promise by Jonathon King and listening to Poland by James Michener

jodijoy

02 Jan 2017, 21:31 #7

I needed to do some heavy duty cleaning!
When life gives you lemons, throw them back and demand chocolate.

dlee10

03 Jan 2017, 00:08 #8

I just put all the Christmas decorations back into the attic. Why is setting up so much fun and taking down is such drudgery? Usually, my husband insists that we wait till Jan. 6 to put things away. I don't know what prompted the early start this year but I'm not going to question it!
I, too, need to lose some weight per doctor's orders. Blood pressure. I've cut way back on my salt intake but dieting and exercising are not coming along so well. I keep finding reasons not to start right away.

wernoclue

03 Jan 2017, 05:03 #9

Sounds like me, Deb. I renewed my membership to the botanic gardens thinking it would be a good place to go walking and haven't been once, despite perfectly reasonable weather.

I spent all day Saturday, along with my kids, going through papers and other junk in one room in my mother's house. She's currently with my sister in Tucson for Christmas and apparently planning to make her stay permanent. The woman is a hoarder, I swear; it was only just beginning top get out of control and spill over into living spaces but she has every quarter inch of space in a 4 bedroom house (with LOTS of storage) completely filled. And I do mean completely! For example, she has saved every birthday card she''s received since 1965 and, since she's a very social person, that's one heck of a lot of birthday cards. Anyway, 24 hours between 4 of us on Saturday and we barely scratched the surface of that one room so that's what I'll be doing for a while, not walking through the wintry gardens. Image
Karen
“The odd thing about people who had many books was how they always wanted more” – Patricia A. McKillip

dlee10

03 Jan 2017, 10:53 #10

After clearing out my grandmother's home, I have cut way back on things that I save. I'm cluttered. Very cluttered but it is a controlled clutter. My grandmother gave to numerous charities and a lot of them rewarded her with boxes of cards. Which she saved. Thousands of boxes of cards. I threw 90% of them into the Goodwill bins but still came home with so many cards that I only just finished using them this Christmas. Holy cow, I just realized that it was over 10 years ago! That was a Lot of cards!