General sci/fi - fantasy chat

Queens Dominion; Science Fiction, Fantasy
zorpr1me

13 Jun 2005, 23:43 #1

Well, I don't remember what we were chatting about in the other thread... since it is gone for a couple of days... I decided to start another one.

I'm still reading Temple of the Winds by Goodkind. Still good and half way through it. Actually getting better and better... Image

Anyone saw the ending of Enterprise ? What did you think ? I thought it was pretty boring... They should have ended it with the episode before the finale. The last episode was not bringing anything new to the story of Enterprise...Later,
Eric
Later,
Eric

QueenSidhe

15 Jun 2005, 00:52 #2

I just finished rereading The Lark and the Wren by Mercedes Lackey and readingA Stroke of Midnight by Laurell K. Hamilton. After rereading The Lark and the Wren, I want to go pick up the rest of the books in the series again. Image

A Stroke of Midnight wasn't that bad, IMO. Lots of sex and some more power the Merry, but I found the book interesting. Although, like Incubus Dreams, thinking back on it, nothing much seemed to happen in the book. I'm not even sure there was much character development like there was in Incubus Dreams. I'll have to reread it at some point and not skim some of the little parts. Image

As for Enterprise, I stopped watching it after the first couple episodes, so I can't say. I've pretty much stopped watching TV unless I can download it or if it's on the Food or HGTV channel.QueenSidheSciFi/Fantasy DominionBook Chat Central: Online Reading Groups' Community Boards Currently reading: ?Just finished: A Stroke of Midnight by Laurell K. HamiltonThe one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart. -- Memory by Lois McMaster Bujold
QueenSidhe
SciFi/Fantasy Dominion
Book Chat Central: Online Reading Groups' Community Boards
Currently reading: ?
Just finished: Bring It On by Laura Ann Gilman
The one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart. -- Memory by Lois McMaster Bujold

19 Jun 2005, 16:31 #3

Help! I was going to post reviews of the two books I nominated for the July-September reads but can't get a reply button on my screen!

Anyway they were Amazon.co.uk reviews:

Dance of the Goblins by Jaq D Hawkins

Jaq D Hawkins has been one of my favourite authors in another genre for many years, so I was eagerly anticipating the release of her first fantasy novel. I was not to be disappointed.

Dance of the Goblins is the most original and imaginative piece of fantasy work I have seen since Marian Zimmer Bradley's Darkover novels. It takes you into another world, the world of the goblins, in an enticing manner that makes you want to visit the place in real life and become one of them. To enjoy the spiritual feeling of the Dance, as they do. I can't wait for the conferences that will surely follow the success of the series, and I've heard that a film is in the pipeline.

The story is based in the future rather than the past, but the past flows into the new conditions that have occurred after a cataclysmic planetary pole shift wipes out most of civilisation as we know it. The humans salvage what they can of their world, and the magicians become the ruling class. How this comes about is one of the most amusing parts of the story.

One magician, the respected Count Anton, has befriended the goblins who have lived underground throughout the ages of mankind but remain hidden from human eyes since the old days when humans used to see them as mythological beings of various sorts. The superstitious humans persecuted them until they stopped appearing above ground at all. It is no different in the new world where religion has preserved the mindless superstitions and branded the goblins as demons.

An accidental sighting of one of them begins a chain of events that will lead to a serious conflict and even war between the races for the first time in centuries. As the story unfolds, we get to know the main characters both among the humans and goblins, as they get to know each other. One of the most important of these is a strong female character. Talla is a goblin, but one with a difference. Learning what this is will take us into some of the deeper realms of the goblins, where even the legends fail to depict the layers of goblin society that have formed over the ages of the earth.

If the sequels are anything like the first book, I'm looking forward to this being the next 'must read' series for those who are jaded with LOTR clones and look for a fresh new perspective of the world of fantasy. Even the cover art is a beautiful new approach that laughs in the face of the standard designs you see on big publisher production-line novels. The book comes to a tidy conclusion, and yet leaves much to build on for the continuing series. I'm going to pre-order the second book as soon as the publisher begins taking orders.

Good Omens by Terry Pratchett

Unlike most people who have reviewed this book, I can't say I've ever been a fan of Terry Pratchett's Discworld books. I've only read one of them ('Mort'), and to be homest I found it a bit boring after the first couple of chapters....

That said, 'Good Omens' was recommended to me so I thought I'd give it a go, although I wasn't expecting it to live up to my mate's over-enthusiastic babblings!

I'll never doubt her again! This is genuinely the funniest and cleverest novel I've ever read. From start to finish every chapter is packed with bizarre and hilarious characters, situations and references. If it wasn't loosely in the 'fantasy' genre then I've no doubt it would be regarded as a classic. It supercedes even Spike Milligan and Stephen Fry in its humour, which I thought was impossible. Truly an astounding book, and those of us who aren't fans of Terry Pratchett should not be put off as the dark tone of the novel is quite different from his other works.

The 'Bohemian Rhapsody' car radio and the four bikers of the apocalypse both made me laugh until it hurt (and I'm not even joking!)

Fantastic book, undoubtedly my favourite. Recommended to anyone with an ounce of cynicism and a dark sense of humour!

ruaidhri75

19 Jun 2005, 22:21 #4

Quote:
Anyone saw the ending of Enterprise ? What did you think ? I thought it was pretty boring... They should have ended it with the episode before the finale. The last episode was not bringing anything new to the story of Enterprise...

Rather dull. The use of the TNG characters was a little stupid, if you ask me. The last season as a whole was fairly entertaining, but it rather fizzled out, eh? I suspect I won't miss the show. Ah well.* * *

If I was half as smart as I think I am, I'd be twice as smart as I really am. My Card

Sunt lacrimae rerum et mentem mortalia tangunt

zorpr1me

19 Jun 2005, 22:51 #5

Ruaidhri75,

I totally agree with you!!

I'm still reading Temple of the Winds... It is not dull quite the contrary, I like it but I'm a slow reader and with the baby, I've get less time to read!

Image Later,Eric
Later,
Eric

zorpr1me

22 Jun 2005, 00:19 #6

Looks like we are getting back our thread in the forum. Might not be long until we can post in the forum!

Hmmm... beside that, it is quite warm here. Just got caught in a rainstorm while digging for a tree!!! ah well... Image Later,Eric
Later,
Eric

QueenSidhe

22 Jun 2005, 00:21 #7

They had TNG characters in the last episode? Which ones? (I liked TNG the best.)QueenSidheSciFi/Fantasy DominionBook Chat Central: Online Reading Groups' Community Boards Currently reading: The Robin and the Kestral by Mercedes LackeyJust finished: A Stroke of Midnight by Laurell K. HamiltonThe one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart. -- Memory by Lois McMaster Bujold
QueenSidhe
SciFi/Fantasy Dominion
The one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart. -- Memory by Lois McMaster Bujold

zorpr1me

22 Jun 2005, 00:24 #8

Riker and Troi.Later,Eric
Later,
Eric

QueenSidhe

22 Jun 2005, 00:33 #9

From the looks of things, we're only getting less than two pages of threads back. We had more than that. Also, most of those threads that are back appear to only be the first post and the rest are unknown and cannot be restored messages.

Hmm. Riker and Troi. So, how'd they get that far back in time?QueenSidheSciFi/Fantasy DominionBook Chat Central: Online Reading Groups' Community Boards Currently reading: The Robin and the Kestral by Mercedes LackeyJust finished: A Stroke of Midnight by Laurell K. HamiltonThe one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart. -- Memory by Lois McMaster Bujold
QueenSidhe
SciFi/Fantasy Dominion

zorpr1me

22 Jun 2005, 01:34 #10

They were in their time during an episode of TNG. I do not remember which one. They brought back some of the old set. Actually only a corridor I think and the holodeck door... Image It was an holodeck simulation with Enterprise Crew (the one with Archer for captain).Later,Eric
Later,
Eric