What We're Reading 2016

Reading All Genres, General Fiction & Nonfiction as voted by members. Join the Fun

all book discussion is welcome
murraymint11

01 Jan 2016, 23:30 #1

Reading A Place Called Winter by Patrick Gale for my F2F group; it's really very good!

bayjoens

02 Jan 2016, 01:27 #2

Jane, I looked for A Place Called Winter and then realized it won't be released here until March, so I put it on my Goodreads and Amazon tbr lists.

I finished The Cold Cold Ground by Adrian McKinty today and liked it a lot. Who recommended that one? I have a couple of books to read before I read the next in the series but it seems easily available at the online library.

wernoclue

07 Jan 2016, 04:48 #3

I'm supposed to be re-reading Dissolution by CJ Sansom for my face group this month (meeting next Wednesday) but I'm having a hard time settling down to reading at all! Although the few pages I've managed of this one so far certainly held my attention better than anything else I've picked up recently.
Karen
“The odd thing about people who had many books was how they always wanted more” – Patricia A. McKillip

bayjoens

07 Jan 2016, 06:06 #4

Oh I never re-read for book group. I always figure it's a free month!

wernoclue

07 Jan 2016, 07:12 #5

Well, in this case I first read it about ten years ago and just don't remember much about it. And I wanted to refresh my memory of the story and the characters with and eye to moving on and continuing in the series.
Karen
“The odd thing about people who had many books was how they always wanted more” – Patricia A. McKillip

sthurner.bookchatcentral

07 Jan 2016, 21:15 #6

I'm listening to a short book called Find the Good: Unexpected Life Lessons from a Small Town Obituary Writer. I'm liking this woman lots - she is smart, funny, not depressing in any way. I picked it up because I wanted something short, and this time that strategy has worked out, as sometimes it does not. The author is Heather Lende. I'm also reading something for the local library discussion group, which I have not attended for about a year. The book is Euphoria, by Lily King, a fictional treatment of a Margaret Meade-like person, involves a love triangle and lots of info about tribes in New Guinea. It's OK - but I'm not sure I'd go out and recommend it.
Currently reading: Before the Fall

riverblue

07 Jan 2016, 22:51 #7

I've read The Blackeyed Susans and then a piece of absolute fluff (but it hit the spot nicely!) and now I'm into The Dark Dark Woods which I'm racing through. I have a lovely tall pile from the library so i'm a happy camper! :)

I must look through last year's reads for favourite reads too - are we doing that this year? I always love adding to my TBR lists from your favourites.
Barb

wernoclue

08 Jan 2016, 00:18 #8

Sherry, thanks for the comments on Euphoria. It's been on my "maybe" list since it came out but I'm glad to move anything doubtful to the NO column.

'Fess up, Barb -- what was the fluff? I may need some. In fact, I seem to be downloading more and more fluff to my Kindle these days.
Karen

bayjoens

08 Jan 2016, 01:22 #9

Sherry, Euphoria is one those books that I liked better when I was done and had a few days to think about it. Didn't it make you wonder how close to the real Margaret Mead personality the character was? It definitely isn't for everyone but I'm glad I read it.

wernoclue

08 Jan 2016, 02:09 #10

Sandra, had you mentioned before that you read that? Now it's nudging back on my list again!
Karen